See Longwood Gardens at its most Awesome!
Longwood Gardens is no doubt the premier public garden east of the Rockies (and probably west of them, too). But what surprised this frequent visitor was discovering my favorite time to visit is mid-winter! Why? Because of the outdoor displays and especially the 4.5-acre heated indoor conservatory. It features a giant Art Nouveau tapestry made from pink poinsettias and ferns, and amazing floral displays.
So join Behnkes and Cheval’s garden tours for our day trip to Longwood – this is a trip for gardeners, and everyone else.
- Date: Thursday, December 15, 2011.
- Meet at: Behnke Nurseries, 11300 Baltimore Ave., Beltsville, MD.
- Leave: 10:00 a.m. Return: 6:00 p.m.
- Cost: $103. Reserve online.
- Registration deadline Dec. 12, 2011. No refunds after Dec. 1, 2011.
Horticultural highlights this season:
General Indoor Highlights
- Calla-lily (Zantedeschia)
- Coleus (Solenostemon)
- Cyclamen coum (Cyclamencoum)
- Heaths (Erica)
- Heathers (Calluna)
- Poinsettias (Euphorbia pulcherrima)
- Primroses (Primula)
- Red Stem Dogwoods (Cornus stolonifera)
- Winterberry Hollies (Ilex verticillata)
General Outdoor Highlights
Posted by Susan Harris.